Buy the complete novel thru Amazon

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

SIXTEEN
Fifteen minutes later I was sitting beside Matt
in the back of a chauffeured Lincoln. Matt looks like
exactly what he is – a criminal defense attorney. He’s
beefy, with sandy hair and blue eyes that are said to
transfix juries and women, by all accounts. He was
dressed in a blue blazer, blue shirt and striped tie, and
gray wool trousers.
Aware of the driver’s proximity and no glass
between us, we spoke like two of David Mamet’s
characters once we got past the pleasantries.

“Gus, I have to ask you . . . “
“And the answer is no.”
“The police are going to want . . .”
“To know where . . .?
“You were . . . Yes. Do you have an . . .”
“Alibi? Don’t be . . .”
“It’s not. It’s important.”
“I was . . .”
“Sleeping. I know. Were there any . . .?
“When was the last time someone witnessed
you, Matt?”
“Sleeping? Other than my . . .”
“I don’t have a . . .”
“Wife. I know that, Gus.”
“We’ll just tell them the . . .”
“Truth? Is that what you were about . . .”  “Yes. Truth. The truth shall set you free.”
“Well, let’s see what happens . . .
“When we get there.”
“When we get there. Yes.”
“And I want to offer a reward.”
“How much?”
I named a sum. Matt showed surprise and the chauffeur did a double take in the rearview mirror.
We rode in un-fractured silence the rest of the way to the precinct. Once inside, we were directed upstairs to the second floor where Detective Swiecki greeted us before we finished telling the receptionist we were there. He is a man of brown eyes, thin hair and thick waist, somewhere in his late forties. He was wearing a white shirt with tie and button loosened at the neck.
“Right this way, please Mr. Windham, counselor,” he said. “We’ll talk in one of the witness rooms, if you don’t mind.”
“Lead the way, Detective,” said Matt. I nodded.
“I want to thank you for coming out here from Manhattan,” Swiecki said over his shoulder as he led us down a shabby corridor.
“Anything that helps you find Danny’s killer,” I said.
Swiecki ushered us into a sparsely furnished interrogation chamber.
We sat at a small table in classic opposition – Matt and I on one side and Swiecki on the other. I couldn’t help noticing the wall mirror overlooking our seating arrangement and facing Matt and me. I wondered who and how many were behind it watching and listening.
“As I said, thank you for coming in right away. It makes my job easier.” “Is my client a suspect, detective?”
“Not at this point, no. We have no suspects at this time.”
“My client is happy to be of whatever assistance you feel will help further the investigation.”
“I want to offer a hundred thousand dollar reward for the capture of the killer, if it will help.”
Swiecki emitted a low whistle and scratched something in his notebook.
“A hundred thousand. Okay. That could help. It will also create a lot of false leads but that’s for us to deal with. Seems Mr. Limm was well liked. Is that unusual in your business, Mr. Windham?”
“Yes and no, Detective. In show business, we deal with outsize personalities all the time – actors and stars and so forth. Danny was good at that. He could be a task master but in the end everyone was happy to work with him. He had a knack for bringing out the best from his actors. With everyone else, he had a geniality that he could switch on the moment you came into contact with him.”
I did not say “with everyone but me.”
“You said ‘in the end’ – is there a reason you chose that phrase? Do you mean at the end of a show? At the end of rehearsal? What?”
“Detective, my client came here to shed what little light he can on this tragic situation, not to discuss backstage mechanics.”
“I’m trying to get a little background on the victim, counselor, that’s all. Mr. Windham, would you mind removing the sunglasses? It’s kind of hard for me to talk to someone when I can’t see their eyes. It’s a professional quirk.”
“My client suffers from a condition that requires he where dark glasses at all times, detective.” “Oh. I could turn the lights down if that would help.”
“It wouldn’t, detective. My condition is only partially light related. It’s very rare. I’d be glad to have my ophthalmologist contact you and give you the complete medical explanation . . .”
“But that’s not going to help find the murderer,” said Matt. “So let’s try and focus on the crime, unless that’s what you’re doing and my client is a suspect.”
“Not at all. It’s just kind of weird, that’s all.”
“Well get over it,” said Matt.
The cop held up his hands, palms open and facing us.
“We’re all on the same side here, right? Counselor? Mr. Windham?”
“I hope so,” said Matt.
I nodded my assent.
“Okay, so Mr. Limm was walking his landlady’s dog at seven this morning. The landlady is Korean, too, like the deceased. He’s the only tenant.”
I wanted to correct him and say that Danny was an American of Korean origin but held my peace as he went on.
“Mr. Limm walked the dog every morning when he was in town, according to the landlady. Apparently he traveled to direct out of town? How’s that work, Mr. Windham?”
“Danny directed at regional theaters on occasion, a couple times a year, I believe. I really only kept abreast of his career when we were working together, if you know what I mean.”
“I’m afraid I don’t, Mr. Windham. Counselor, you mind if your client fills me in?”
Matt scowled but nodded for me to continue.
“Well detective, let me put it this way – how closely do you follow the work of your colleagues? I imagine you’re too busy to pay attention to, say, robberies here in your precinct, unless they are somehow connected to a case you are investigating.”
“I’d say that’s accurate,” said Swiecki.
“It’s the same for us in the theater. Only instead of cases, we have shows. When Danny and I worked together, it was my job to pay attention to what he was doing. Once we got a show opened together, my attention went to other matters, other people, other shows. He did the same thing. Neither of us were big on chitchat and catching up when we were working together. I know Danny worked in regional theater but there was no reason for me to keep up on the details. I’m sure his agent could give you all the information you want as to his out of town work. Have you spoken with his agent?”
“Yes. I understand Mr. Limm was gay. Is that correct?”
“Yes. That’s no secret. Nor is it unusual.”
“What about Mr. Limm would you say was unusual?”
“Nothing. Why did you bring up the fact that Danny was gay?”
The tension in the room seemed to rise.